The Technical Specialist is responsible for coordinating manufacturers’ Approved Product List (APL) applications and sample requests. Responsible for coordinating the maintenance of the working APL. This position also serves as a technical contact for customer questions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Commercial and industrial coating performance standards development.
• Review, maintain, and update category standard documents & testing practices.
• Serve as a technical contact for customer questions.
• Coordinate all incoming APL Applications.
• Serve as the primary contact for manufacturers seeking sample testing for APL listing.
• Track the status of all samples submitted to the lab. Update product statuses throughout all cycles of testing and add to APL upon final approval.
• Reconcile all APL records to reflect approvals. Reconcile all APL records to reflect rejections and delistings; send impacted manufacturers notice of all impending delistings.
• Coordinate updates and postings of the APL. Create backups of the APL for redundancy purposes.
• Support MPI in the creation of reports (e.g. manufacturers invoice reports, monthly lab sample totals reports, sales/account management reports).
• Technical resource responsibilities for ensuring the functional database is effective and aligned to organizational goals and needs.
• Coordinating the procurement and implementation of the technical scope of the CRM.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must have a basic understanding of lab testing and lab equipment processes.
• Must have familiarity with ISO or quality testing practices.
• Must have a basic understanding of calibration schedules.
Some travel is expected for this role and passport is required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• High School/GED diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred. 3-5 years’ experience working in a lab environment.
• 3-5 years’ experience with paint/coatings, dyes/adhesives, or polymer technology.
• Experience with quality control or research and development preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, members, employees of the organization, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, etc. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to develop and interpret business graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
Must possess a specific level of communication skill both verbal and written. Have demonstrated personnel management skills including, but not limited to, the ability to evaluate staff performance and provide direction, is highly desirable. Ability to work in a multi-task environment taking into account various external factors and to communicate efficiently and accurately to both managers/supervisors and subordinate staff. Must be computer literate with knowledge and experience in word processing and spreadsheet softwares.
Ability to learn and use association specific software.