The Audience Development Manager plays a key role in the creation and implementation of measurable strategies to meet individual product goals across all publications, including magazines, journal, digital issues and supplements. Working in collaboration with the marketing and social media departments, this function is responsible for developing new, expanding existing, and driving more engagement to all product audiences while continuing to build loyalty with existing subscribers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Developing, implementing and executing strategies and business plans to build and retain audience.
• Determine and own product KPI, metrics, and models for growth; benchmark against competitors.
• Gather, analyze and utilize data to optimize existing content while also generating ideas to expand existing content across multiple platforms and channels.
• Oversee collection and reporting of audience data through the selection and management of analytics tools and platforms.
• Develop and execute web traffic acquisition growth strategies.
• Identify trends and deliver real-time, actionable insights to drive user acquisition, engagement, and long-term retention.
• Distill audience insights through strong analytic and critical thinking skills that can be used for strategic planning.
• Source Strategic marketing/audience partnerships with industry groups.
• Coordinating, maintaining and managing subscription galleys, subscriber updates, reporting and list preparation to assist internal stakeholders and external service providers.
• Ensuring successful BPA audits by preparing and filing audit and ownership statements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Knowledge of publishing industry and marketing, preferred
• Knowledge of circulation development, management, and segmentation, required
• Ability to analyze and report on metrics, required
• Experience working with customer management systems, required
• Willingness to work in uncharted territory and develop and document processes, required
• Ability to organize effectively, work on simultaneous assignments, and carry out independent action, required
• Knowledge of site license development and management, desired
• Deep understanding of internet culture and community, as well as digital publishing and distribution strategies, preferred
Some travel is expected for this role, a passport is required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent related work experience in marketing and/or audience development, required.
• 5-7 years’ experience in Audience Development with proven ability to effectively communicate growth and distribution strategies, tactics, and reporting mechanisms across disciplines and to create connections across content-based product lines
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, members, employees of the organization, customers, and the general public.
Ability to create and analyze data reports to support strategic plans. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to develop and analyze business graphs that can support a business case for subscription plans.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
Must possess a specific level of communication skill both verbal and written. Must have deep knowledge of CRM-type software, Excel, and Google Analytics as well as other social data capture software. Ability to work in a multi task environment taking into account various external factors and to communicate efficiently
and accurately to both managers/supervisors and subordinate staff.
Ability to learn and use association specific software.